1. Changing which of the following affects the period
of a pendulum?
2. If you double the frequency of a vibrating object,
what happens to the period?
3. A pendulum passes the nose of an observer 24 times
in 2 seconds. (Assume that the observers nose is at one of the endpoints of
the pendulums path.) The frequency of the pendulum is
4. The distance from trough to trough on a periodic
wave is called its
5. Suppose that a train whistle at rest has a frequency
of 3000 Hertz. If you are standing still and observe the frequency
to be 3010 Hertz (higher
pitch), you can conclude that
6. Radio waves travel at the speed of light, 300,000
km/s. For 300 MHz radio waves, the wavelength is
7. Of the following properties of a wave, the one
that depends only on the type of medium is
8. Reverberation is actually a case of
9. The Tacoma Narrows Bridge collapse is an example
10. The speed of sound is about 340m/s. If someone
fires a gun near a cliff and hears an echo four seconds later
then the cliff is about
11. Which of the following is not a medium which
will transmit sound?
12. The first harmonic of a guitar string has ______nodes.
13. A sound wave has a wavelength of 6 meters. The
distance from a compression center to the adjacent rarefaction
14. The first medium in the correct list below transmits
the fastest sound waves and the last medium transmits the slowest
15. Dipping a finger in water faster and faster causes
the wavelength of the spreading waves to
16. The number of vibrations per unit time is called
17. The time for one vibration is called the
18. The magnitude (or value) of the wave speed is given by
19. When you are in a swing, the time it takes to
go from the highest point in front of the swing back to the highest
point in front of the swing
20. A skipper on a boat notices wave crests passing
his anchor chain every 5 seconds. If the wave crests are 15 m
apart, what is the speed of
the water waves in m/s?
21. A 250 Hz tuning fork and a 260 Hz tuning fork
are vibrating near each other. How many beats per second are heard?
22. Frequencies of sound that are too high for the
human ear to hear are called
23. The bending of sound through air of uneven temperature
24. We can distinguish between the sound of a wrench
dropped on a floor and a baseball bat dropped on a floor because
25. Two waves having the same amplitude and frequency
interfere as a crest meets a trough. The results will be
26. A violin and a piano sound different because
they play sounds of different
27. What is the wavelength of the 1st Harmonic in
a 10 meter organ pipe that is open at both ends?
28. A guitar string can vibrate at the frequencies
listed. Which of the following is its second overtone?
29. The longitudinal waves produced on a slinky more
closely represent which of the following waves?
30. In an open ended organ pipe there are always
an odd number of nodes when a sound is produced.
31. The lowest frequency that can be produced on
a guitar string has a wavelength ________ as long as the string.
32. A vibrating tuning fork causes an identical fork
to vibrate. This is called ___________.
33. _________ is the bending in the direction a wave
travels due to the fact that the medium is not uniform.